Power ‘fully restored’ across Pakistan after 12-hour outage: energy ministry – Pakistan

Power was “fully restored” across the country after a massive 12-hour power outage hit Thursday, amounting to 8,000 megawatts, according to the energy minister, depriving large parts of the country of electricity. including the provincial capitals Karachi and Lahore. according to the Ministry of Energy.

The ministry said the disturbance on two 500kv lines in southern Karachi has been resolved. “Electricity supply is being increased from alternative power plants, which will return to normal on Friday morning,” the ministry tweeted.

Nevertheless, DawnNewsTV reported that power has yet to be restored to much of Karachi, including Malir, Gulshan-i-Maymar, Super Highway and more.

Previously, the Ministry of Energy had attributed the breakdown to an “accidental failure” in the transmission system.

“Several power plants in the south are jumping phases due to an accidental failure in the transmission system in the south of the country. As a result, there have been interruptions in the supply of electricity to the south of the country,” the ministry said in a tweet following reports of power outages.

Accidental failure

At a press conference earlier today, Energy Minister Khurram Dastgir shared preliminary findings of the circumstances that led to the collapse.

“This morning at 9:16 am, our two 500kv lines in the south, Karachi, both had a fault. I’m not calling it an accident yet, because an investigation hasn’t been done yet. […] there was a failure in them and they fell, so the southern region of the country suffered a blackout.

Energy Minister Khurram Dastgir Khan speaks to reporters on Thursday.—DawnNewsTV

“Our first priority was to isolate Karachi from him, and we were successful in doing that and isolated Karachi from him at 9:45. By isolation, I mean the 1,000 MW that we provide daily to Karachi was cut off. But the KE system works independently and is supplying electricity to [parts of] the city.”

He said that as a result of the two power lines in which the fault developed, parts of Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur and Quetta, and partially Multan and Faisalabad experienced power outages.

Dastgir added that he was personally monitoring the progress of the restoration.

“As a result of this failure, a large part of our plants are out of our system, around 8,000MW, of which we have restored 4,700MW,” he said.

“Electricity has been fully restored in Multan and Faisalabad. There is a problem in Hyderabad, but we have partially restored Sepco up to Dadu. There’s also [power] connectivity in Shikarpur, and due to partial connections in Sukkur. Qesco has been restored to Sibi.”

The minister said that there were three teams in the field: one was the reconnection team that dealt with the cut conductors, the second team was for repairs, where necessary, and the third team was the investigation team, which would present a report to the Ministry of Energy in four days identifying the cause of the incident.

“Our biggest success is that we prevented a collapse in the north. We limited the closure to the south through timely reconnection… the north was completely spared from closure.

“We are trying to fully restore the system between Maghreb Y isha,” he said.

“It’s taking time. Power plants that were shut down will take hours to restart. These include coal plants, Thar coal plants and nuclear plants in Karachi, where there has been a shot, the plants are restarted according to their technical specifications.

“We expect those plants to start production in the next few hours and, as I said, we will fully restore the system between 7 and 8 at night. Our priorities right now are [the restoration of power in] Karachi and Quetta and then Hyderabad too.”

He said the trip took place near Karachi and moved north. “There are two lines in the south of Karachi, NK1 and Jamshoro, there was a fault on them simultaneously.

However, he insisted that there were no faults in the Karachi system, only 1,000 MW of transmission from the national grid had been cut. “When the plants are restarted, the supply of 1,000MW will be restored [to the city].”

The minister hinted that human error could be responsible for the failure, although he would not confirm this until the investigation team’s report arrives. “When the report from the investigation team is received, if we have to take disciplinary action in the light, we will do so,” he added.

“We have to find the real cause, whether it was an accident or there was another reason.”

Later that day, the Ministry of Energy set up a high-level investigation committee to determine the facts related to the partial failure.

According to an order issued by the National Transmission and Despatch Company Limited (NTDC), the committee will be headed by Muhammad Mustafa, General Manager (Technical) from Lahore, and will include Anwar Ahmed Khan, Muhammad Ijaz Khan and Muhammad Zakaria.

He indicated that the committee must determine the root cause of the non-compliance, determine if the faults that caused the blackout could have been avoided and verify if the measures taken by the departments involved were adequate.

The committee must submit a report within four days, the order added.

Senate panel issues subpoenas for KE CEO

Separately, the Standing Committee on Senate Power issued a subpoena for K-Electric CEO Moonis Alvi and instructed police to arrest him and present him at the panel’s next meeting.

“Who is he? A gangster? What is this behavior?” Senator Saifullah Abro, chairman of the committee, said at a meeting on Thursday.

He said that time had passed but KE had not yet managed to prepare an agreement for the purchase and sale of electricity.

The committee also expressed anger at Dastagir’s absence from the meeting and noted the power outage across the country.

It noted that the NTDC had not provided adequate reasons for the power outage. To this, Ministry of Energy officials said: “The southern parts of the country have been plunged into darkness.

“But share details [of the outage] it will sow more panic,” they added.

Power restoration continues in residential areas

K-Electric spokesman Imran Rana said in a 7 p.m. update that power restoration was being done in phases across the city with power being restored to strategic facilities including airports, hospitals and fuel stations. pumping.

“The work of restoring electricity to residential areas is gradually continuing,” Rana said, adding that power has returned to Federal B area, Civic Center, Clifton, Defense, Gulistan-i-Jauhar, Liaquatabad, Lyari and Malir.

Earlier in the day, he confirmed that the utility had received reports of “multiple outages” from different parts of Karachi.

“We are investigating the issue and will keep this space posted,” he said.

In an update published around 11:45 a.m., he confirmed that the power supply suspension was due to a failure in the transmission system in the south, according to the Ministry of Energy.

He added that work had begun to restore power and that the complete restoration would take about five hours.

In Karachi, reports of power outages were received from towns near Rashid Minhas Road, Gulistan-i-Jauhar, Liaquatbad C-1 Area, Federal B Area’s block 11, 12 and 13, Nazimabad’s block 3 and 4, Kharadar, Lyari, Old City Area, Malir Halt, Rafah-i-Aam Society, Millennium Mall, areas near Dalmia Road, Gulshan-i-Iqbal Defense Housing Authority and PECHS.

There were also complaints of suspension of electricity supply to City Courts and Accounts Courts of the metropolis

Meanwhile, the Lahore Electric Supply Company said it was carrying out a load shedding to protect the system from a major breakdown.

“The Ministry of Energy is diligently investigating the cause of the blackout and the power system will be fully restored as soon as possible,” he said.

Leave a Comment